Lee Freeman KPM
HM Inspector of Constabulary and HM Inspector of Fire & Rescue Services Lee Freeman
Lee Freeman was appointed as HM Inspector (HMI) at HMICFRS in April 2023, joining the inspectorate from Humberside Police.
In 1993, Lee joined the City of London Police after completing a BSc honours degree in Sociology at Kingston University.
Following a transfer to Lincolnshire Police in 1996, where he undertook several operational posts in uniform and CID at various ranks, Lee was promoted to the rank of Superintendent in 2005.
In 2008, he was seconded to Lincolnshire County Council as an Assistant Director where he had overall responsibility for Lincolnshire Trading Standards, Lincolnshire Drug Alcohol Action Teams, Lincolnshire Youth Offending Service and the Safer Communities teams.
In May 2015, Lee was appointed Assistant Chief Constable for Humberside Police and in 2017 became Chief Constable in Humberside, overseeing considerable improvements in the force.
Lee has held several National Police Chief Council portfolios, as well as being a member of the management committee for Police Sport UK.
Lee Freeman is the senior responsible owner of:
Regional role for police forces
Lee Freeman is His Majesty’s Inspector of Constabulary for the London and National Regions. He is also HMI for one force in the Northern Region and deals with the following police forces:
- British Transport Police
- The City of London Police
- Civil Nuclear Constabulary
- Cumbria Constabulary
- Guernsey Police
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- Isle of Man Constabulary
- Metropolitan Police Service
- Ministry of Defence Police
- National Crime Agency (NCA)
- Police Service of Northern Ireland
- Royal Gibraltar Police
- State of Jersey Police
- Other forces by invitation
Regional role for fire and rescue services
Lee Freeman is His Majesty’s Inspector of Fire & Rescue Services for the following fire & rescue services:
- Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service
- Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service
- Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service
- London Fire Brigade
- Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service
- Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service