What is PEEL?
In 2014, we introduced our police efficiency, effectiveness and legitimacy (PEEL) inspections, which assess the performance of all 43 police forces in England and Wales.
The questions that make up the PEEL assessments don’t remain the same for each cycle of inspections. They must adapt to changing priorities and circumstances in policing.
The 2021/22 cycle introduced significant changes. This means it isn’t possible to make direct comparisons with the grades awarded in previous PEEL inspections. We set out these changes on the PEEL 2021/22 page.
Find a police force’s PEEL reports and grades
From the PEEL assessments page you can:
- see the latest grades for each police force in England and Wales in one place;
- choose a police force and read its latest report; and
- find previous reports and related information about a police force.
PEEL 2023 – 2025
On the PEEL 2023 – 2025 page you can find:
- the questions which make up our PEEL assessment framework for this cycle of inspections;
- more information on the updated reducing crime assessment; and
- the new leadership section we are including in this cycle.
On the PEEL 2021/22 page we set out:
- the changes to the programme in more detail;
- the impact of COVID-19 on the programme in 2020; and
- links to the PEEL assessment framework and further information for this cycle.
To read about how we inspected the first five PEEL assessments, see the PEEL assessments 2014 – 2018/19 pages.
National reports and spotlights
We regularly publish spotlight reports on national themes that arise from PEEL force reports or investigate specific issues in more depth.